West African Pot Roast is a one-pot dinner of tender beef, carrots, onions and sweet potatoes simmered in a nutty, smoky sauce with just a touch of heat.
- Yield: 8
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 45 minutes
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: American Fusion
- Author: FlashRecipe.com
- 3-4 pound chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 sweet potato , cut into 2″ chunks
- 3 carrots , cut into 2″ chunks
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- chopped peanuts , as a garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Season the chuck roast with the Kosher salt, pepper and thyme.
Add the vegetable oil to a pan and heat. When it ripples and is hot add in the roast and brown, deeply, for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Add onion, sweet potatoes and carrots around the chuck roast.
- In a large bowl whisk together beef broth, peanut butter, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, thyme and hot sauce.
Pour over the chuck roast and cook, covered, for 3 – 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and remove thyme sprigs before serving.
Yield: 8 , Amount per serving: 516 calories, Calories: 516g, Carbohydrates: 16g, Protein: 40g, Fat: 34g, Saturated Fat: 14g, Cholesterol: 117mg, Sodium: 911mg, Potassium: 1030mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 8012g, Vitamin C: 8g, Calcium: 69g, Iron: 5g