Swedish Pot Roast is the ultimate comfort food made in one pot with potatoes, carrots, creamy gravy and warm spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Yield: 10 Servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: Swedish
- Author: FlashRecipe.com
- 3 pound beef chuck roast , boneless
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 pound carrots , peeled and cut into 2″ chunks
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes , peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Season the chuck roast with Kosher salt, and pepper.
Add chuck roast to a large dutch oven on high heat and brown, deeply, for 4-5 minutes on each side.
Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
Add carrots, potatoes, brown sugar, beef broth, red wine, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, and cook for 3 – 3 1/2 hours.
If you want a thicker sauce, 30 minutes before it is done skim the fat off the top, add a cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water) to the pot and cook for the remaining 30 minutes.
Yield: 10 Servings, Amount per serving: 409 calories, Calories: 409g, Carbohydrates: 28g, Protein: 29g, Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 94mg, Sodium: 794mg, Potassium: 1059mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 9g, Vitamin A: 7595g, Vitamin C: 21g, Calcium: 63g, Iron: 4g