Easy Classic Scones recipe for slightly sweet buttery soft scones with crispy crust. Plus mix-in variations for the perfect scones in your favorite flavors!
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 22 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Course: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American, British
- Author: FlashRecipe.com
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , frozen and diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons coarse sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a large food processor.
- Pulse a couple of times to “sift”.
- Add butter and pulse until it resembles small crumbs.
- Add sour cream and egg and pulse until large clumps form.
- Remove to a flour covered surface and knead into a ball.
- Pat into an 8 inch circle with your hands.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Place onto baking sheet.
Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Brush tops with heavy cream and sprinkle coarse sanding sugar over the dough.
Bake for 16-18 minutes.
Cool for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet.
Yield: 8 servings, Amount per serving: 321 calories, Calories: 321g, Carbohydrates: 36g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Cholesterol: 69mg, Sodium: 204mg, Potassium: 117mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 12g, Vitamin A: 583g, Vitamin C: 1g, Calcium: 53g, Iron: 2g