Philly Cheesesteak Stew made with richly browned chuck roast in butter with onions, bell peppers and mushrooms in a rich beef gravy that simmers low and slow in the oven and has all the flavors of a Philly Cheesesteak excluding the Cheez Whiz!
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Course: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Author: FlashRecipe.com
- 3 pounds chuck roast , cut into 2″ chunks
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 yellow onion , cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 green bell peppers , cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 pounds yukon potatoes cubed
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and season the beef chunks with salt and pepper before dredging in flour.
Add the butter and vegetable oil to a large dutch oven on medium heat and brown the beef well on all sides in batches (3-4 minutes per batch).
Remove the last batch of the beef and add in the garlic, onions, bell peppers and potatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly caramelized before adding the broth, thyme and Worcestershire sauce and stirring to combine.
Add the beef back into the pot, cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
Add the mushrooms to the pot, stir well and continue to cook for 1 additional hour.
Yield: 8 servings, Amount per serving: 398 calories, Calories: 398g, Carbohydrates: 6g, Protein: 35g, Fat: 26g, Saturated Fat: 13g, Cholesterol: 124mg, Sodium: 899mg, Potassium: 814mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 220g, Vitamin C: 26.3g, Calcium: 50g, Iron: 4.4g