Make-Ahead Turkey Gravy is perfect to serve with classic holiday dinners. Smooth, and flavorful gravy made with veggies, turkey drippings, and black pepper.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Course: Sides
- Cuisine: American
- Author: FlashRecipe.com
- 2 yellow onions , cut into wedges
- 2 carrots , cut into 2″ chunks
- 2 ribs celery , cut into 2″ chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 turkey wings
- 8 cups water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Toss turkey, onion, carrot and celery in oil, salt and pepper.
Roast in a baking dish or baking sheet for 1 hour.
- Add turkey and vegetables and drippings to a large pot with the 8 cups of water.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 2 hours.
- If liquid is evaporating, add more water to keep level of liquid above the turkey and vegetables (roughly, about 1/3 of it should evaporate leaving about 6 cups of gravy).
- Strain the gravy using a large strainer (fine mesh is best) then put the gravy back into the pot.
- Turn on medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Mash together the butter and flour and whisk it into the gravy.
Cook for 6-8 minutes until gravy is smooth and thickened.
- Check at last minute before serving for seasonings (if you need more salt or pepper this would be where to add it).
Yield: 8 Servings, Amount per serving: 211 calories, Calories: 211g, Carbohydrates: 10g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 15g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 45mg, Sodium: 630mg, Potassium: 200mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 2723g, Vitamin C: 3g, Calcium: 26g, Iron: 1g