Greek Chicken and Rice Soup (Avgolemono) is a traditional recipe with shredded chicken, long-grain rice, and an egg and lemon sauce made into an easy meal.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Soup
- Cuisine: Greek
- Author: FlashRecipe.com
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 stalks celery , sliced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth , divided
- 2 chicken breasts , boneless skinless
- 2 carrots , sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup long-grain rice , uncooked
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
Add the butter to a large dutch oven on medium heat and cook the onions, garlic, celery, salt, and pepper for 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
Add 5 cups of broth, chicken, carrots, oregano, basil, and rice and bring to a boil, then to low heat for 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Remove the chicken and shred with two forks before returning to the soup.
- Add the last cup of broth to a blender jar along with lemon juice, egg yolks, and 1/2 cup of the drained cooked rice from the soup.
Blend until smooth, about 1 minute, then pour into the soup and stir well.
Yield: 8 Servings, Amount per serving: 217 calories, Calories: 217g, Carbohydrates: 23g, Protein: 16g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 85mg, Sodium: 1024mg, Potassium: 472mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 2674g, Vitamin C: 17g, Calcium: 44g, Iron: 1g