French Onion Pot Roast is an all-in-one dinner with tender chuck roast cooked in a rich French onion soup broth. Complete with cheese and toasted baguettes!
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours 45 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Author: FlashRecipe.com
- 3-4 pound chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 4 yellow onions , halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 French baguette , cut into 1/2″ slices
- 1 cup gruyere cheese , shredded
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Season the chuck roast with the Kosher salt, pepper and thyme.
Add the vegetable oil to a pan and heat. When it ripples and is hot add in the roast and brown, deeply, for 4-5 minutes on each side.
Add onions, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme and cook, covered, for 3 – 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and remove thyme sprigs.
- Turn oven to hi-broil.
- Shred the beef in very large chunks.
- Top with sliced baguettes and Gruyere cheese.
Place the pot into the oven, uncovered, and broil until the cheese begins to bubble and brown, about 1-2 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings, Amount per serving: 524 calories, Calories: 524g, Carbohydrates: 22g, Protein: 42g, Fat: 30g, Saturated Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 136mg, Sodium: 1166mg, Potassium: 796mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 214g, Vitamin C: 6g, Calcium: 248g, Iron: 5g