Colcannon Irish Potatoes are a traditional Irish recipe. Creamy, fluffy mashed potatoes mixed with flavorful onion and cabbage all topped with crisp bacon.
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Total Time: 33 minutes
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Irish
- Author: FlashRecipe.com
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter , divided
- 1 medium head cabbage , shredded
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 8 russet potatoes , peeled and quartered
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter , melted
- To a large pot add the bacon and cook until crispy and chewy.
- Remove bacon from pan and add in 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cabbage, and onion.
Cook on medium heat for 10-12 minutes until translucent and just starting to brown, stirring occasionally.
- While cabbage is cooking, chop the bacon.
- Remove the cabbage and onion from the pot to a large dish.
- Add the potatoes and cover with water, it should be 2″ higher than the potatoes.
Bring to a boil and cook for 18-20 minutes until tender.
- Drain the potatoes, add the milk, salt, pepper, and remaining butter and mash well.
- Stir in the cabbage onion mixture, then top with bacon.
Yield: 12 Servings, Amount per serving: 339 calories, Calories: 339g, Carbohydrates: 33g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 20g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Cholesterol: 47mg, Sodium: 586mg, Potassium: 825mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 498g, Vitamin C: 36g, Calcium: 101g, Iron: 2g