Cheesy Bratwurst Soup is the ultimate comforting dish with a little heat made with sausage, carrots, jalapenos, and soothing broth all smothered in cheese.
- Yield: 10 Servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Course: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Author: FlashRecipe.com
- 1 pound bratwurst , casing removed
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 2 carrots , diced
- 2 stalks celery , thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices , optional
Add bratwurst to a large stockpot on medium-high heat and cook, breaking into large chunks until well browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove sausage and add in the onions, carrots, and celery.
Reduce heat to medium and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until translucent.
- Add in the black pepper and flour, whisking well until no longer raw.
Whisk in the whole milk and chicken broth slowly and cook until thickened and creamy, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add in cheddar cheese and whisk well until creamy and melted.
- Top with jalapeno slices if desired. For more muted spice add the jalapenos in with the milk.
Yield: 10 Servings, Amount per serving: 275 calories, Calories: 275g, Carbohydrates: 7g, Protein: 13g, Fat: 21g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 59mg, Sodium: 774mg, Potassium: 316mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 2378g, Vitamin C: 5g, Calcium: 202g, Iron: 1g