Beef and Barley Soup is an easy one-pot dinner perfect for the fall and winter. Full of flavorful and tender beef, healthy veggies, and fiber-rich barley.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 27 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 32 minutes
- Course: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Author: FlashRecipe.com
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat , or cut up chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 stalks celery , sliced
- 2 carrots , sliced
- Add oil to a large pot or dutch oven on high heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
Add to the pot and sear on all sides, about 8-10 minutes.
Add in the onions and cook for 4-5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add in beef broth, barley, and thyme and bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat.
Cook, uncovered, for 1 hour.
Add in the celery and carrots and cook for 15 minutes, then serve.
Yield: 8 Servings, Amount per serving: 265 calories, Calories: 265g, Carbohydrates: 17g, Protein: 30g, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 70mg, Sodium: 1562mg, Potassium: 671mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 2625g, Vitamin C: 3g, Calcium: 60g, Iron: 4g