BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole is an easy kid-friendly dinner ready in 1 hour! Tasty bbq chicken filling topped with cheddar cheese and homemade cornbread.
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Course: Condiment
- Cuisine: American
- Author: FlashRecipe.com
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 yellow onion , chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 9×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
Combine ground chicken, onion, and bell pepper in a large skillet on medium heat and cook for 5-6 minutes until cooked through.
Add in the barbecue sauce and tomato sauce and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together cornmeal, milk, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, egg and melted butter.
- In the baking dish layer chicken then the shredded cheese and top with the cornbread mixture.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings, Amount per serving: 590 calories, Calories: 590g, Carbohydrates: 56g, Protein: 28g, Fat: 29g, Saturated Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 154mg, Sodium: 1260mg, Potassium: 983mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 32g, Vitamin A: 1173g, Vitamin C: 22g, Calcium: 363g, Iron: 3g